Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Book Review: A Street Cat Named Bob

Leave a Comment
I just finished reading the book "A Street Cat Named Bob And How He Saved My Life."  It is the delightful story of a ginger cat named Bob, and his guardian James Bowen.  James saved Bob from a life on the street, and Bob saved James from a continued downward spiral from drug abuse.

This story is not always an easy read.  Bob almost gets lost a couple of times, but thank goodness he is a very intelligent cat and was quickly found again.  James' description of coming off drugs, a two-day process, was difficult.  But James' dedication to his new pet made it bearable and also the impetus for him to clean up his life for his new friend.

My favorite part of the book was when James would take Bob along with him while he was busking (to play music or otherwise perform for voluntary donations in the street or in subways), and he noticed that more and more people would see Bob and come over for a chat.  Up until that point, most people ignored James, but upon seeing Bob sitting in the guitar case, they were intrigued.  Several people started making knitted and crocheted scarves for Bob, which he wore proudly.

I don't want to give away any more of the story, you need to get a copy and read it.  I highly recommend this book, it is a heartwarming story and will lift your spirits.

Many people can related to these types of stories, myself included.  Our own beautiful orange tabby Pookie arrived in our lives just when I needed her -- the summer before my daughter headed off to college -- and kept me company and was a great source of comfort.

Here is a photo of Pookie and James' book, you can see that she isn't quite sure what to make of Bob.

   
Find videos of Bob and James on youtube, search on street cat named Bob.  And leave a comment to let me know how a pet saved you.

0 comments: