Sunday, March 17, 2013

Beaded Cabochon Mania

Leave a Comment
I came across some gemstone cabochons (cabs) during my studio organization.  A few years ago I tried beading cabs and made some pins, but found that the tiny seed beads are often problematic and make me crazy (or crazier, depending on how you look at it!).

So my friend Devolyn immediately came to mind.  You might remember her from some previous posts; she also makes jewelry.  I bagged up the cabs and gave them to her.  A couple of weeks later she surprised me with these beautiful beaded cabs shown below.



I think you'll agree that she did a spectacular job, each one is a very lovely work of art. She did an amazing job matching up the seed bead and accent beads to bring out the colors and personalities of the gemstone cabs.

If we study the turquoise cab a little closer, you can see the intricate work on the back, and how the beads are stitched together to hold the cab.
I was inspired to use the beaded turquoise cab and turquoise beads and silver round spacer beads to make this necklace and earring combo.


Oh my word!  I am not sure that I'll be able to part with any of these lovely cabs.  They are all waiting to be made into pins, necklaces and bracelets.  Special thanks to Devolyn for her lovely beadwork!

0 comments: