Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Finding Jewelry Making Inspiration in Nature

5 comments
This past weekend, I was sitting outside near a small manmade pond when a few ducks stopped by.  It was pretty hot outside, about 88 degrees with humidity.  The mother duck and her eight babies cavorted in the water to cool off, and were looking for corn kernels to eat.

Mother duck and babies
While I was watching them, I noticed that the mother duck has a very beautiful dark blue strip on her wings.  What struck me about that was that when I am putting together colors for the handmade necklaces, earrings, and bracelets that I make, I would not necessarily consider a dark navy blue with brown tones.  It is interesting to take inspiration from nature, in this case a female large dabbling mallard duck.  You can see in the photo below a closer view of the duck and the blue stripe.
Female mallard duck and baby, inspiration for Catju Designs jewelry

So now I'm anxious to get in my bead box and see what brown and navy color combinations I can come up with based on this inspiration from nature.  I'll post the results here, so check back to see the results.

5 comments:

LizzzFilm said...

I like how the most highly creative people out there never turn off their childlike curiousity about the world around them. You are definitely one of those people. :)

Dianne said...

Now that you mention it, those two colors are very beautiful together. You inspire me to look everywhere now for my own art. Thank you! Can't wait to see the finished product.

larry said...

You are a very creative person, the reason I know this is because you use everything and anything as a connection to your work. This shows you are a very commited person when it comes to your work. Great job, you inspire me.

Megan said...

I often find art inspiration in nature. It doesn't lead me to make anything quite as beautiful as your jewelry though!

Megan said...

I often find art inspiration in nature. It doesn't lead me to make anything quite as beautiful as your jewelry though!